When Demitri invited Sharon to lunch at Adam's Rib, the best soul food restaurant in the neighborhood, she never would have guessed he wanted to have this conversation. Did he just say he is in love with Maiya? Smirking she said, "So that's why you never liked Michael?"
"No, Sharon. I never like Michael because of how he treated her. I don't like the vibe I get off of that guy. Something is not right with him, but out of respect for Maiya, I never voiced that concern. When they broke up, I was done watching her have relationships with guys who didn't really care about her. Are you going to help me?"
"Well, she's supposed to meet Michael for drinks Friday night and I think he is trying to get her back. What do you think about that?"
"He has been gone for six months. What does he want now? You don't think she'll give him a second chance, do you?" Demitri never thought it would be this hard convincing Sharon he was the best man for Maiya.
"Okay, I always figured you had a thing for Maiya, but let's be honest Demitri, you already have a lot of 'girlfriends'. Are you just wanting Maiya for bragging rights and adding a notch to your belt? I'm not going to help you hurt my girl."
"Sharon, I know I have had a lot of women. Okay...I have had my share and a few others share too, but I really care for Maiya. I have had feelings for her since college and I am tired of watching other men have the opportunity to cherish her and they treat her badly. I already know what she is looking for in a man, and I want to be that man. Now, will you help me or not?"
*****
Friday morning proved to be more hectic than anticipated. The meeting scheduled with SoftBytes was a few hours away and she could not find their folder. She checked with her secretary and the other team members and no one had it in their possession. Thirty minutes before the clients where due to arrive, Sonja waltzed into her office holding the file.
“Maiya, I don’t know what happened. I found SoftBytes file in the conference room we had our team meeting in this morning. Maybe you left it there by mistake. If you need help with anything, please let me know, I know you can’t keep up with everything all by yourself.”
Maiya saw the look in Sonja’s eyes as she made her speech and it took all of her power not to snatch that pasted smile off of her face. “Thanks Sonja.”
That was all Maiya could say before her real feelings bubbled forth. Fortunately, Maiya knew the information from front to back so she was not caught off guard with Sonja’s attempt to knock her off center.
After gathering the last of the preliminary documents needed for this meeting, she walked into the conference room. Glancing up she saw Randolf speaking to the owner of SoftBytes, Lucas McCaine. Looking at him, he couldn’t be more than 35 years old, and from the predatory gleam in his eyes, she knew she was going to have to keep her guard up. When he saw Maiya, he immediately turned on the charm. Randolf introduced them and he insisted upon her sitting across from him so he could get a better look at her. At then end of the meeting, two hours later, Lucas announced SoftBytes was hosting an investors reception the next evening and invited Peterson, Morgan, and Lucian.
“Maiya, I was wondering if you would allow me to be your escort for the evening?” Lucas asked.
“I’m sorry Mr. McCaine but I don’t date clients. Besides, I’m already seeing someone, but that you for the offer. I’ll see you tomorrow evening.”
Walking from the conference room, Maiya thought if Michael had really changed for the better, she would ask him to be her escort.
*****
Friday night after work Maiya met Michael at the bar they used to go to when they dated. He was waiting for her at the bar watching the sports results on the nearby television. She took a deep breath and prepared herself for the meeting that she really wanted to avoid.
When he turned around and saw her standing next to him, she never expected the feelings she thought were long gone to surface when he looked deep into her eyes, the way he used to.
“Hey baby.” He leaned over to brush a kiss across her mouth and she turned her head just in time to get the kiss on her cheek.
“I didn’t come here to relive old times Michael, you said you had something you wanted to say so lets get to it.” It took all of her power to let that kiss affect her in any way, but it wasn’t working.
Turning on all the charm he could muster, he said to her, “Come on sweetie, don’t be like that. It’s been six months since we’ve seen each other, let’s have a drink and why don’t you tell me what you’ve been up to. I know we need to talk, but I’d like to know how you’ve been first. How ‘bout it, what would you like to drink?”
Signing, feeling like maybe he’s changed, she asked for a Long Island Iced Tea. Settling into the stool next to him, she crossed her legs and took a sip when the bartender returned with her drink.
“My day was fine Michael,” she said turning to look at him, “but I am a little curious as to why you wanted to see me after all this time. You made it rather clear the last before you left my house that you weren’t the man for me. You needed sex and I wasn’t the woman for you because I wasn’t ready to give it to you. So, what do you have to say to amend that comment?”
“Maiya, I was wrong for going there with you. I know it was wrong for me to force that issue, but we had been dating for six months, what was I supposed to think. I figured if you weren’t giving it to me you where giving it to someone.”
“Like you where? Michael, I didn’t come here to argue, I’m leaving.”
“NO. Don’t go. I was out of line for that, because I was cheating, but Tonya and I are just friends. I want to tell you that you were the best thing that happened to me and I was so out of line with you, I didn’t appreciate what I had until it was too late. I’m asking for your forgiveness. Do you think you can find it in your heart to want to start over with me?”
Sitting next to him, she began to wonder what the catch was. She knew he was a good person, before she found out about the other woman, but did he really feel that way. Just as she was about to ask him, she felt a presence at her back and turned around to see Tonya staring between her and Michael.
“So, isn’t this cozy. I wonder why I wasn’t invited.”
Michael turned in his stool and his cool expression changed so fast, she wasn’t sure but it appeared there was fear and apprehension in his face.
“Tonya, baby, what are you doing here?”
“Did you tell her Michael!? Did you tell her to leave you alone and to stop calling you?” Turning to Maiya, she said, “we are getting married and you need to stay away from him. I would think after being dumped you would have gotten the hint, but I’m here to tell you, I don’t appreciate you trying to come between me and my fiancĂ©. Stay away from us Maiya, he doesn’t want you.”
Maiya looked between Michael and Tonya and shook her head. After feeling stupid for being duped into drinks with him, he really hadn’t changed after all. Looking at Tonya, she contemplated letting the situation slide and just walking away and let Tonya continue to be used and cheated on by Michael.
“Tonya, honey, you know what, you are so right. You two are made for each other. I hope you are happy together. As for you Michael, you don’t deserve her. Don’t call me again,” picked up her drink and tossed it in his face.
With that, she paid for her drink and walked out of the bar. Dialing Demitri on her cell phone, she told him she was on her way over.
Calling Sharon when she reached her car she told her if she ever saw Michael again to run the other direction.
“What happened girl, what are you talking about?”
After relaying the events of that evening, Sharon told her, “that couldn’t have been me Maiya. You are too nice. He would have gotten so much more than just a drink in the face. But I am sorry. I never thought he would have turned out to be like that. Well, I do know who will not be invited to the next backyard boogie.”
They shared a laugh and she disconnected the call when she reached Demitri’s driveway.
*****
“You are kidding me Maiya.” The longer Demitri listened to Maiya’s tale of terror of an evening, the angrier he got. “So, he hasn’t changed huh? Why did you agree to have drinks with him anyway?”
Maiya understood her anger at the situation, why was he so angry. “It doesn’t matter now, I never want to see him again to save my life. But anyway, now that we have that out of the way, I need your help.”
“Yeah, sure, what do you need?” Demitri tried to calm himself down. He didn’t want to give away his true feelings. After lunch with Sharon, he had to start on getting Maiya to see him as a potential lover.
“Tomorrow night is an investor’s reception hosted by SoftBytes and I need a date, well, actually I need you to go as my boyfriend. The owner of the company came on a little strong and I need a buffer so he stays in his place. Will you help me out for the evening? You do have a tuxedo don’t you, it’s formal.”
Did she know what she was asking him to do? Demitri looked at Maiya and thought maybe he and Sharon didn’t have to work on any outside plans; one had just been presented for him.
“Sure Maiya, I’ll do anything for you. What time should I pick you up?”
I’ll be ready at 6pm. See you tomorrow night. She realized he was still holding her in his arms and she backed away toward the couch. Turning to pick up her purse, she thanked him for the evening and left. Getting into her car, she realized she was still holding her breath. Standing in his arms is one thing, but looking up into his eyes and feeling like she needed to kiss him was something totally different. Rolling down the windows for some fresh air, she drove home with naughty thoughts and soaking panties. Demitri was definitely no good for her equilibrium.
Wednesday, April 19, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment