Okay - so last night I'm following my monthly ritual of watching CNN to get the latest and greatest of good news, bad news, and WTF - the actually covered that on CNN news and two stories caught my attention and I am just shaking my head wondering what the hell is gonna be next.
The first one happened in Detroit, MI. A little 5 year old boy calls 911 because his mother collapses and they do not respond. His mother dies and now it's just him and his NINE other brothers and sisters. They interviewed the president of the union that the 911 operator is a member of and she is just very nonchelant and real cool-like. So check the tape, here is what happenes, they play the tape, and the little boy says his mother passed out and they needed help. The operator proceeds to ask if an adult is present and if so put them on the phone. The child says something that can't be understood. From the explanation of the Union President, here are the reasons that 911 responded so late to this emergency:
1) First, the tape CNN played was acutually the recording of both the first and second 911 operators that took this call (meaning the child called TWICE)
2) The new system that the 911 district is using has caused problems in the past where the operators could not fully understand what the caller was saying was the actual emergency.
3) The first operator who took the call did not believe this was a real emergency because she had taken 2 prank calls earlier from a house on the same street (not the same house mind you but he same street)
4) The tape that CNN used was mastered better than the tape that they had (meaning CNN's technology is way better than 911)
5) Them, at 911, take all calls that come into the call center very seriously.
I posed these bogus responses so you, the reader, will understand why I'm about to go smooth off on those operators.
I understand the job can be stressful, but come on now...911 was the first organization, right after the government, to get caller ID. I know they keep logs of crank 911 calls because how else are they gonna be billed to the phone bill and paid for (DUH). Then for her to part her lips and say the call wasn't taken seriously because 2 crank calls came from the same street earlier, what happened to Police responding to a house to ensure there really isn't an emergency, and if the call is the result of a crank call, the fear of going to jail is enstilled into the hearts and minds of the offending child? (It happened to me) So basically, she's saying SHE didn't feell there was a real emergency so she didn't put the call through just to make sure...you know...one of those just in case situations.
And what if this was an adult at home (or elderly person) having trouble articulating their emergency, they are just going to negate the call totally because the "system" made the call inaudible? Listen folks, I was born on a Friday, but it wasn't last Friday.
The second story that caught my attention was the fact that today, there will be/are protests around the country either for or against the legalization of over 11 million (I hope that is the correct estimated number) aliens. Some are for and some are against. My thougths on the situation is this:
Most of these people have been here FOREVER, and why are they trying to close the gate now that all the horses have run free. Most of these individuals have had childern (and based on our own laws of the land, the parents are AUTOMATICALLY citizens when the illegal parent has a child on American soil). In my opinion, America is trying to do Spring cleaning like 40 years after the fact. I guess that rug that they swept all of the dirty little secrets under, while they where invading/plundering or just plain messing with other countries, has gotten a little to crowded and they need to make it appear there is real cause for concern for us.
I don't know...Then I turn to C-SPAN and watch the "Road to the White House for 2008" and they are following senators or governers around that might act like they want to run for Prez in the next election and I don't know ya'll, what's the point? Honestly, think about it...who would you trust to go behind our current Prez & cabinet to clean up the mess that has been created? Is there really someone out there with a GENUINE care and concern for the disrepair of the American spirit? Is there really a person out there, man or woman, that will honestly talk about the REAL issues (and I'm not talking about marriage between gays or parital abortions - I'm talking about the catalysts for the strength or downfall of the American economy)?
I am of the opinion (strictly my own) that we need to turn our attention from what's going on in other peoples houses (Iraq, Iran, China, N/S Korea) and get our own back in order.
I'm not even gonna get started on my feelings after watching Farienheit 911!!!
*****These opinions are strictly and solely mine. I'm not asking you to agree or disagree. This is just what I've been thinking about over the past few days.****
Monday, April 10, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Hey Jamie - Thanks for the comment and I am in total agreement with you as far as no one patroling the borders 24/7. That's because all states, due to no gov't funding have cut back on law enforcement. That money has been funneled into Homeland Security, so threats like "border jumping" are put on the back burner until re-election time...then miraculously these "threats" are lumped under one band-aid repair.
Lord, help us all...
Post a Comment